Monday, June 6, 2011

Regrets of the Dying: A Guide for Living Life Happily

I received an email today entitled "Regrets of the Dying". The author was a certain person named Bronnie who will soon publish the book having the same title. I don't know if he was a he or a she but the email said that the person worked in a palliative care and had patients who are faced with the fact of living only for a few weeks due to ailments. And one of the many striking points said by patients were: "I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends." True enough, friendships are what make life more happier than we ever thought of.
Birthdays are memorable occasions. And what better way to celebrate it than find yourself in the company of true friends in a memorable beach setting. FYI, it's not my birthday but Normelly's and Dennis' as June celebrators (not celebrant) both working in Manila who had to get to La Union to celebrate. Normelly is a friend from way back high school and Dennis happens to be an acquaintance since elementary days. It was real fun to see them once in a while together with the rest of Japoy's friends. This time we got into one of the sheds in Pagudpud, La Union. Although the party was filled with drinking sprees which I did get to have a taste of Tanduay ice, there was a lot of food that day. From shrimps to "chicharon bulaklak" to "inihaw na liempo and manok". OMG, that was a lot of high cholesterol foods in each meal as well as in between meals (lol)! As always, it was enjoyable making acquaintances among Normelly and Japoy's other friends.
Another thing that I would emphasize in the same email is the relization that said, "I wish that I had let myself be happier". It added that "Many did not realize until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content. When deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."
It ended with the words "Life is a choice. It is YOUR life. Choose consciously, choose wisely, choose honestly. Choose happiness." Indeed, every decision in our lives could lead to happiness. So I'm choosing happiness and deciding to share with you a glimpse of the happy writer... myself and the friends I have shared the weekend with at La Union!!!
Happy Moments with Friends Norm and CJ: We were floating in the sea sharing our stories


Who says you can't buy Happiness: With a little over a 100 pesos you can have this Fiesta halo-halo at Halo-Halo de Iloko. I know summer is over but it still is hot in here!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews